India is changing and so are the Indians. Indians are becoming more modern and accepting different types of lifestyles. With modernization of lives of Indians, comes the modernization of their kitchen appliances. Microwave ovens which are considered a necessity in the west are quickly gaining a space in Indian kitchens. However, when it comes to buying of a microwave oven, one might be overwhelmed with choices available in the market. There are so many types of microwave ovens available: convection, solo and grill microwaves. Through this article, we will guide you to select one of the best microwave ovens in India.
Best Convection Microwave Ovens in India
This microwave oven is designed for a small family or for bachelors for the use in their kitchen. With a stainless steel finish, this microwave oven fits perfectly in any kind of interior design. The child lock provided makes it safe for the family with small kids.
The IFB 20 Liters Convection Microwave oven comes with a warranty of 1 year on the product and 3 years on Magnetron as well as its cavity. The product comes with a starter kit for your convenience.
Let us discuss some features of this oven:
- It has a frequency of 2450 Mhz
- Sensitive touch features
- 24 auto cook menus to select from.
- It combines power grill and combi tech
- Option to cook in multiple stages
- It has an inbuilt memory to store 3 types of cooking cycles
- You can grill, cook, defrost as well as reheat any food
- Defrosting can be done on the basis of the weight of the food alone
Do you have a big family? Do you really like to cook healthy and tasty surprises for your loved ones? Then IFB has just the perfect microwave oven for you. With the capacity of 30 liters, it is big enough for fulfilling a family’s need. Also, with a microwave frequency of 2450 MHz, it is quite effective. This oven also has a child lock to prevent any accidents in the homes where there are children.
IFB gives you a warranty of 1 year on the whole product as well as a warranty of 3 years for the cavity and the Magnetron so that you can use it with ease for long. The company also gives you a starter kit along with the product to get you started within no time. This model has been ranked as one of the best convection microwave convection ovens in India.
Some of the features of IFB 30 Liters Convection microwave oven are as follows:
- The diameter of the turntable is 315 mm to enable you to cook in larger pots
- You can use this oven to grill, defrost, reheat as well as cook your food.
- The keypad is touchscreen and is easy to clean
- 101 auto cooking options to choose from
- You can also change the cooking settings without having to cancel any
- You can use auto set to cook in different styles.
- It has memory to store 3 auto settings.
- It features express cooking and deodorizing
- Cleaning the oven becomes easier with steam clean
- The weight defrost system allows you to defrost without any mess
- Comes with motorized rotisserie for making barbeques
Samsung is a company trusted by millions and this microwave oven by Samsung can be a perfect addition to your family kitchen. With the capacity of 28 liters, it can cook dishes for 4-5 people. It has the heating capacity of 40-200 degree centigrade.
It also has a child lock for the safety of the children in your house. You can also turn the sound off if you want a quieter experience. The product comes with a warranty of 1 year.
Other features of Samsung 28 L Convection microwave oven are as follows:
- This oven has a deodorizer to clean the smell from cooking
- You can turn the turntable on or off as per your requirement
- The best feature is the slim fry, which allows you to fry food with very less oil.
- The fermentation function lets you have curd and dough/batters that needs fermentation at appropriate temperature and humidity
- The tandoor technology helps you make naan or rotis as good as they are made in tandoor
- The touch pad is easy to operate and clean
- Suitable for all types of cooking like grilling, frying, cooking, reheating and defrosting
This model by IFB is a very attractive one. It is black colored with a floral design featured on the oven. It will surely improve upon your kitchen aesthetics. It is an ideal microwave oven for a family of 3-4 members.
The power of the oven varies from 900 watts to 1900 watts as per the program selected. The child lock ensures the safety of your children. Your child will not be able to open the oven if the child lock is on and you can prevent accidents. The company gives you a warranty of 1 year on the product and 3 years on cavity and Magnetron.
We would also like to mention the following features for your knowledge:
- The oven comes with 71 pre-programmed auto cook menu options to help you cook without any wasted time.
- The company provides starters kit to help you start cooking instantly
- The touch key pad is very easy to use as well as clean
- The disinfect feature helps you to keep your oven germ free
- The fermentation feature helps you to ferment curd, dough or batter that you need to ferment
- It has 10 temperature levels.
- Safety features like sensor malfunction protection and overheating protection gives you peace of mind
- The Express cooking feature allows you to cook instantly by just setting the weight and start button
The 32 Liters Convection model by LG is ideal for Indian families with more members. It is large enough to cook various meals and versatile enough to cook using various methods. The company gives you the warranty of 1 year on the product and 4 years on the Magnetron. It is supposedly one of the best microwave ovens with convection.
This good looking product has many features to help you cook. Some of them are listed below:
- It can make Ghee in 12 minutes
- It can pasteurize milk without losing its nutrients
- The tawa which is included can make 12 kinds of rotis
- The 360 degree rotisserie helps you make fabulously cooked barbeque
- The steam cleaner feature can clean the oven in minutes
- Total of 301 auto cook menus out of which 211 are Indian menus
- The Diet fry feature gives you the liberty to fry food with very less oil
- The defrosting of vegetarian and non-vegetarian food is quick and easy
- The fermentation feature allows you to ferment foods like curd, dough for breads, paneer, etc.
Best Solo Microwave Ovens in India
If you do not want to bake or grill in your microwave oven, you can go for a solo microwave oven which is made just for the purpose of reheating, defrosting and cooking limited dishes. This is a good option for a minimum price in case you are not going to use all the extensive features of the convection oven. It also serves the purpose if you are a student or a bachelor who just needs to reheat or defrost pre-cooked food. Let us have a look at the best options available to you if you have a solo microwave oven in mind.
This solo microwave oven by Samsung is ideal for 3 to 4 members. The company provides a warranty of 1 year on the product, 1 year on the Magnetron and 10 years on Cavity.
It has a child lock for the protection of children. The interior of the oven is made of ceramic for better maintenance and heat reflection. The other features of this microwave oven are as below:
- 16 pre-programmed recipes for easier cooking
- Defrosting is fast and without the food getting soggy
- Special modes for melting butter and chocolate
- Easy to use LED display for power and time
This solo microwave oven from IFB is one of the best microwave ovens in India. It is ideal for small families or for bachelors. Typically made for the purpose of reheating, warming or defrosting food, this oven also lets you do grilling and baking to a limited capacity.
IFB provides you the warranty of 1 year for the product and 3 years for the Magnetron and Cavity. Some of the other features of the oven are listed below:
- The auto cook setting allows you to cook without any hassle
- The standard cooking options help you to choose from pre-set timers
- You can change the timer in between the cook with the jog dial in accordance with your requirements
- The 30 minute timer gives you liberty to do other work while the oven works for you.
Bajaj Electronics has come up with a very affordable range in solo microwave oven for the convenience of couples and bachelors. People who are not keen on cooking or baking in the oven can go for this microwave for the purpose of defrosting, reheating or simple cooking.
Bajaj provides the warranty of 1 year on the product as well as on magnetron. Other features of Bajaj 17 L solo microwave oven are mentioned below:
- Five temperature levels to assist you in cooking
- Built-in alarm system to alert you when the food is done.
- 30-minute timer to help you in maintaining the cooking needs
- Child lock mode helps you to keep your children safe while cooking
- The oven comes with a over-heating system protection
- It has multi-stage cooking facility
Samsung 23L Solo microwave oven is ideal for people who are just looking for microwave ovens without any frills. It is sizeable and can be a good fit for the family of 3-4 members. The company provides the warranty on the product for 1 year and on magnetron for 5 years.
The power consumption of the oven is 1150 W. It comes with the child lock facility to keep your home safe from any accidents.
Other features of Samsung 23L Solo microwave oven are as follows:
- Helps to keep the food warm for longer periods of time
- You can reheat, cook and defrost in the oven
- Solo, tact and dial control buttons are provided for better control
- The color, finish and materials composition are made of stainless steel for better durability
- The ceramic cavity enhances the reflection of the waves
- Ceramic cavity is scratch resistance and durable
- 16 pre-programmed options for your assistance
- Easy to use and understand LED display for time and temperature
The Morphy Richards 20 Liters Solo Microwave oven is a great choice for families with limited members and less requirements. It helps you to reheat, cook and defrost the food. Morphy Richards gives a warranty of 2 years on the oven.
The child lock allows you to be free of any worries about your child accidently opening the oven and getting hurt. The other features of the microwave oven are as follows:
- The knobs for settings allow you to select time and temperature appropriately.
- Defrosting Vegetarian as well as non-vegetarian food is easier and faster
- Defrosting does not cost the food its nutritional value
- Aesthetically appealing to suit your taste
Best Grill Microwave Ovens in India
If you are a fan of grilled food like sandwiches or other roasted food then you will want a microwave oven with special grilling options. The food becomes browner and crispier when it is grilled properly. When used in combination, the microwave plus grill option gives you a perfectly cooked dish. Let us see which options are available for us to choose from the microwave ovens available in India.
This microwave oven comes in 20 liter capacity which makes it suitable for small families of 3-4 members. The black color of the oven gives it a very elegant look. It will look well blended in your kitchen.
With 1 year warranty on the product, you can enjoy cooking and using the oven. Some of the features of Bajaj MTBX 2016 microwave oven are listed below for your reference:
- The oven comes in three modes: defrost, microwave and grill
- You can use any one or a combination of these three modes for the cooking of your dishes.
- Timer setting of 30 minutes
- Jog dials for better control
- The multi stage cooking helps you to cook a dish in a perfect way
- In-built alarm gives you the liberty to concentrate on other work without having to worry about the food being burnt in the oven
This oven is specially made for the families with 3-4 members. You can grill, reheat and defrost in the oven. It occupies a small amount of space and is very easy to use. You can cook in multi stages using this oven.
If you have kids at home, you will feel safe using this microwave oven because of its child lock facility. Once you turn it on, your children will not be able to open it. It comes with a warranty of 1 year on the product as well as on magnetron.
The other notable features of Bajaj 2005 ETB microwave oven are as follows:
- The buttons are easy to use and aptly marked
- The jog dial is durable and simple enough to use
- Different pre-set menus for easier cooking
- 5 different levels of temperature for different types of cooking
- You can also set the timing manually
- You can make delicious barbeque dishes on your oven
- You can defrost food in accordance with its weight
LG has come up with a special feature for this microwave oven. For the best experience in grilling, quartz heater is used and is placed on top of the oven while other microwaves use sheath heater on the side. It also allows you to use more space in the cavity. The company has a patented technology called i-wave which allows the microwaves circulate inside the cavity evenly.
Some of the features of the microwave oven are as follows:
- The cavity is anti-bacterial
- The microwave oven has energy saving mode.
- The turntable diameter is 245mm to give you more space
- Child lock
- Pre-set menus for different types of food
- Alarm for the completion of cooking is included
- 5 microwave power levels for different types of cooking
This microwave oven by IFB is perfect for small families of 2-3 members. It is good for grilling in addition to cooking, reheating and defrosting. Small in size and easy to use, this microwave oven is one of the best microwave ovens available in India.
It has a warranty of 1 year on the product and 3 years on the magnetron. When you are looking for a small machine which will assist you in grilling along with microwaving, this product is the one which can help you. With a child lock installed, it is safe for a family with children.
The features of this product are as follows:
- The controls are in the form of touch key pad and are very easy to clean
- The oven comes with 5 power levels for the microwave
- It gives you 41 auto cook menu options to choose from
- The express cooking feature helps you cook faster when you are in a hurry
- Auto reheat allows you to have hot food even when you are late
- The special deodorize function cleans the oven of any lingering smells.
- The cavity is anti-bacterial
This microwave oven is also one of the best microwave ovens available in India. It is suitable for a family of 3-4 members who wish to buy a notch extra in their microwave oven. The company gives you the warranty of 1 year on the product itself and of 3 years on magnetron.
The retro design of the microwave is very appealing and elegant. It also comes with a child safety lock for the kids in your house.
The other features of IFB 20PGG4S are as follows:
- The cavity of the microwave oven is anti-bacterial.
- It comes with a over-heating protection feature
- The turntable diameter is of 245 mm
- The steam cleaning feature assists you in cleaning the cavity
- You can use the combination of cooking methods
- The controls are touch sensitive and easy to use
- A starter kit is provided by the company
Buying guide for a Microwave Oven
These were some of the best ovens available in India. However, how do you decide which is the best microwave oven for your household? So let us help you go through the features to look out for in a microwave oven.
1. Size of the Microwave Oven
The space a microwave oven requires is very important. You should always decide first the placement of the microwave oven and the amount of space it will require before buying any product otherwise you may wind up having a bigger machine than you have place for.
Whenever you buy a product, price matters. It also matters whether the product is giving you good value for money. Your budget is one of the most important factors to consider while buying a microwave oven.
Microwave ovens come with many options nowadays. They come as solo microwave ovens, microwave ovens with convection and microwave ovens with grill. You should consider your requirements first before buying a microwave oven. The type of oven represents the type of cooking you expect to do.
4. Number of family members
Microwave ovens are available in different sizes. You should select the size which is appropriate as per the number of family members in your house. Buying a smaller or bigger microwave oven will make no sense in the long run.
How are you planning to make use of your microwave oven is decisive in helping you buy the product. If you are planning to grill or barbeque the food it makes more sense that you buy a microwave oven with a grill. If you want to try your hand on baking, you should buy a microwave oven with convection facility. However, if you are not keen on cooking but just want to reheat or defrost food, you should not spend your hard earned money on a complex microwave oven.
6. Auto Cook Menu
Auto cook menus are a part of most microwave ovens. These auto cook menus are helpful in cooking as they don’t require one to keep an eye on the food. You should check which menus are there on auto cook menus before buying an oven.
7. Auto Cleaning Feature
Many ovens are featured with auto cleaning and help you maintain a neat and anti-bacterial cavity. You should look at this feature before buying the oven.
8. Styles of Microwave Oven
Microwave ovens come in styles like Counter-top ovens, Above-range microwave ovens and Microwave oven drawers. Most of the microwave ovens in India are Counter-top ovens.
Types of Microwave Ovens
1. Solo Microwave oven
Solo microwave ovens are used mainly for reheating and defrosting food. If you use frozen food or food which is prepared earlier, this oven is suitable for you. With the development of technology, cooking a few things has become a part of solo microwave ovens. However, its major role is in reheating and defrosting.
2. Microwave oven with Convection
Baking was always done on OTG (Oven Toaster Griller). However, microwaves are now included with convection facility which gives you the power to bake at home. If you are an amateur home baker you can buy a microwave with convection facility. You should always remember that it is basically a microwave and not an OTG. The temperature can go up but not for longer periods of time. Also, the space in a microwave is much less than in OTG. These types of ovens are ideal for you if you are just starting to learn baking. You can bake good cakes in this oven but breads are a different story.
3. Microwave oven with Grill
For the people who are interested in having roasted food, microwaves with grilling feature are a good option. Grilling gives the food brown color and gives the food a crispy exterior. However, before the food is cooked in the griller it should be cooked in the microwave. Hence, these kinds of products come with combination cooking system.
Best Microwave Oven Brands
There are many companies nowadays who manufacture microwave ovens. Based on the feedback given by our team, we have taken the liberty to rank the best microwave oven brands accordingly:
IFB is by the best microwave oven brand in India. It offers a range of products in all types of microwaves. The auto cook menus of IFB are some of the best. Also, compared to its competition, IFB offers value for money. Microwave oven price in India is best offered by IFB. IFB microwave ovens are accompanied by the starter kits to help the buyer in using the product well.
Samsung offers all types of microwave ovens in India including solo, convection and grill. The company has given India quality products since decades. There are over 50 options of microwave ovens to select from in Samsung.
LG’s motto has always been “Life’s good when you use LG”. Microwave ovens from LG are made with the latest technology. These ovens are best suited for Indian cooking.
Bajaj Electricals is an Indian company and hence knows the Indian market well. The microwave ovens made by Bajaj are durable and sturdy. The price of the microwave ovens by Bajaj Electricals is lower compared to its competition.
Morphy Richards is a company which gives only a few options in microwave ovens. Although the quality of the ovens is good, the options are few and the price range is a bit higher.
Important features of microwave ovens in India
Indian food is very different from the food of West. Indian food contains a lot of oil and curries. You cannot expect the same microwave oven which works perfectly in the West to work well in India. Hence, it is important that we take into consideration the features which are required to be the best microwave oven in India.
1. Should be able to cook vegetarian as well as non-vegetarian food
Many families in India do not eat non-vegetarian food. It is a common perspective in India that microwave ovens are only used for cooking non-vegetarian food. This is a myth. Microwaves are as useful to cook vegetarian food as non-vegetarian food. Hence, a good feature of microwave oven should be able to cook all kinds of food.
2. Should be easy to clean the oil
The Indian food contains a lot of oil and ghee. If the microwave oven is not easy to clean then the splashed food might spread bacteria or bad smells in the cavity of the oven.
3. Should be Child Proof
Most Indian households have children. If unattended, children might open the microwave while in use and harm themselves. Hence, one feature that is unavoidable if you have children is that the oven should have child lock.
4. Use different methods of cooking
Indian food is varied in taste, texture, technique and flavors. Hence, a microwave oven should be able to cook in different styles and apply different methods. It should also be capable of using combinations of these methods. While buying a microwave, you should always keep this in mind.
5. Should be able to remove smells
Whether we like it or not, the aroma of food when left for a while turns into really bad smell. It is difficult to deodorize the smells of foods like garlic, onions, fish or meat. A microwave which is able to deodorize the cavity properly is a good oven. Hence, make sure you get this feature while buying a microwave.
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
As any heat is harmful, so is microwave heat. If you are exposed to a lot of microwave radiation, you might face burns.
2. Can I place anything on top of microwave oven?
When you use microwave oven to cook something, the heat will be released from the vents on top of the microwave. So it is not advisable to put anything on top of microwave oven. Also, without the microwave turned on you should refrain from putting anything on the oven.
3. Does using microwave oven reduce the nutrients from food?
No. This is a myth according to many studies. However, overcooking of any food by any means can cause a drop in nutrition value. So, just take care not to overcook your food.
4. How can I reset my microwave oven?
If your microwave oven has stopped unexpectedly due to overheating or other problems then you should reset the microwave. You can reset it by long pressing the start key. If it does not work unplug and plug the microwave oven.
5. Which utensils can I use in microwave oven?
Microwave safe plastics, microwave safe glass, etc. can be used in microwave oven. You should never use metals in microwave oven.
6. How do I know that there is some problem in my microwave?
If you hear any sparks, smell any smoke, see any smoke, door doesn’t shut properly, food doesn’t cook properly or is rusted then you should check the microwave urgently. If required, get professional help on an urgent basis.
7. What is the average life of a microwave oven?
If used normally, a microwave oven will last for 7 years. If you do not use the microwave properly it may last for lesser time. However, if you use it with care it can last longer.
8. What kind of food can I cook in microwave oven?
You can cook all kinds of food in microwave oven. Some of the foods like whole eggs, hot peppers, frozen meat, etc. should never be cooked in a microwave oven.
9. How can I clean my microwave oven?
Heat a cup full of water and vinegar in the microwave. After the steam rises open the microwave oven and clean it with smooth cloth. Make sure you do not get burnt.
10. Does water explode in microwave oven?
The water heats up faster in microwave oven. As soon as the vessel is removed from the microwave the bubbles forms quickly and the water explodes. Hence, microwave oven should not be used to heat water.
How Does Microwave Oven Work?
Microwaves are a type of electromagnetic radiation which have a specific frequency of 240- 300 GHz. These rays are released in the cavity and onto the food particles. Every food particle is charged and has different polarity at different ends. Exposure of microwave on the food particle gives motion to particles which increases collision between them and produces heat. The turntable helps to spread the heat proportionately so that the food is cooked evenly.
We have written this article to help you buy the best microwave available in India. So go ahead and book one for your home and enjoy the delicious dishes you can cook.